The Alexander Technique October 20, 2008Posted by alancapel in Web Pages.
add a comment
Human Results for Human Beings – Alan Capel
Inappropriate muscular tension is the root cause of so many of the ills we can experience – back & neck pain, headache, stress, anxiety, tension as well as discomfort from old injuries, but where does it come from?
The habitual way we think & move locks us into the same way of being, thus we always get the same result, and what we think is what we get.
The human structure is designed to work on a moment by moment basis, always adapting wonderfully to our intention.
The dilemma for us comes when we inadvertently tense muscles that don’t need to be used, and thereby set up conflict in our system, we end up more as human do-ings & less as human beings.
Pain is the body’s very efficient defense system, letting you know that this conflict now exists, you’re literally dragging the past around with you as your structure struggles to operate in the present.
You translate everything, whether physical or mental or spiritual into muscular tension. – F.M. Alexander
Frequently Asked Questions October 20, 2008Posted by alancapel in Web Pages.
Q: What is a definitive description of the Alexander Technique?
A: The Alexander Technique is:
- A lifelong exploration into the territory covering the description we have given ourselves as a species – that of human beings. Something, unfortunately that we rarely are.
- Learning to live quietly and without conflict inside the structure we inhabit. Interrupting stereotyped response patterns.
- Gaining clarity of the direction of our being.
- Acquiring the ability to learn from the inside.
- Awareness and presentness and realising our narrowing of both.
- Raising to consciousness that our intention will shape everything – and realising that clarity of intention is of paramount importance – not just its accuracy, but also its appropriateness.
- Named after Frederick Matthias Alexander – who often referred to the Technique
as The Work.
- Whatever you understand it to be at this point in time!
Q: How do I get more information on the Technique?
A: Visit the “courses” section of this site to get a further understanding of the various classes available. Alternatively, you can email me with any questions.